Troughend, a township in Elsdon parish, Northumberland, 6 miles NNE of Bellingham station on the North British railway, and 4½ from Elsdon. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Otterburn (R.S.O.) Acreage, 26,365 of land and 112 of water; population, 232. There is a colliery. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bellingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Troughend from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Troughend-Ward)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Troughend are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: