Thorneyburn, a township and parish in Northumberland, with a station on the North British railway, 2¼ miles from Tarset, and 5¼ NW by W of Bellingham. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bellingham (R.S.O.) Acreage, 2944 of land and 34 of water; population, 116; of ecclesiastical parish, 216. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. Much of the land is moorish waste. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £204 with residence. Patron, Greenwich Hospital. The church is in the Gothic style and was restored in 1885; it consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bellingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorneyburn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thorneyburn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: