Colan, a parish in Cornwall, 3 miles from St Columb station on the G.W.R., 4 from St Columb Major, and 4½ from Newquay. Post town, St Columb; money order and telegraph office, St Columb Minor. Acreage, 2049; population, 222. Cosworth was the seat of the Blewitts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £106 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church was founded in 1250 by Bishop Branscombe, and is interesting. It was restored in 1884. It has three bells and very fine painted windows. The ancient tower was entirely rebuilt in 1879. Each stone as it was taken down was numbered and placed back in its original position. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Colan St. Colan|
|Poor Law union||St. Columb Major|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Colan 1665-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colan from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Colan (St. Colan))
Online maps of Colan are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.