Tarset, a township in Thorneyburn parish, Northumberland, on a burn of its own name, on the North Tyne river, with a station on the North British railway, 3½ miles WNW of Bellingham. Post town, Greenhaugh; money order and telegraph office, Bellingham. Acreage, 18,786; population, 100. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Tarset are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: