Sugley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Newburn parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Tyne, 4 miles W of Newcastle, with a station at Lemington, and 1 mile from Scotswood station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Lemington. It comprises the villages of Lemington, Low Lemington, Sugleyfield, Bell's Close, and part of Scotswood, Denton, and Denton Burn. Acreage, 60 of land and 6 of water; population, 233. The ecclesiastical parish was formed out of Newburn parish in 1887, and includes the townships of Sugley, East and West Denton, and part of the township of Newburn Hall. Population, 2994. The Tyne Ironworks are in this township. There are also collieries, a paper mill, and brick making is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church consists of chancel and nave. There are a Roman Catholic church and a Wesleyan chapel at Bell's Close.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sugley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sugley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: