Stannington, a parish, with a village, in Northumberland, on the river Blyth, with a station on the N.E.R., 4½ miles S by E of Morpeth. It is divided into three quarters: S, NE, and NW, and has a post office under Cramlington (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Seaton Burn. Acreage, 10,316, of which 44 are water; population, 1019. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The manor belonged to Roger de Merlai; passed to the Greystokes, the Somervilles, and others; and belongs now to the Ridley family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £321 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church was erected in 1871 on the site of the former one, is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stannington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stannington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stannington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Stannington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: