UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stamford, Northumberland

Historical Description

Stamford, a township in Embleton parish, Northumberland, 1 mile from Little Mill station on the N.E.R., and 4½ miles NNE of Alnwick. Post town and money order office, Alnwick; telegraph office, Little Mill (R.S.) Acreage, 1662; population, 135.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishEmbleton 
Poor Law unionAlnwick 
WardBambrough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stamford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Stamford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE66
Post TownAlnwick