UK Genealogy Archives logo

Spittal, Northumberland

Historical Description

Spittal, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Tweedmouth parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, at the mouth of the river Tweed, opposite Berwick, 1 mile E of Tweedmouth railway station; took its name from an ancient hospital, was once a resort of smugglers and pirates, is now a watering-place with many good lodging-houses, an excellent bathing-beach, a mineral spring, and consists chiefly of one street about a mile long. It contains the gasworks for Tweedmouth and Berwick, carries on a large trade in catching, curing, and smoking herrings, and the manufacture of manures, also spade and shovel making. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Berwick, a coastguard station, a church, English Presbyterian and United Presbyterian churches, and a Christians' meetinghouse. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1873. Population, 1935. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and aisle.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishTweedmouth 
Poor Law unionBerwick-upon-Tweed 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Spittal from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Spittal are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtTD15
Post TownBerwick-Upon-Tweed