Spindleston, a township in Bamburgh parish, Northumberland, 2½ miles E by S of Belford station on the N.E.R. It includes the hamlet of Waren Mills. Post town, Belford; money order and telegraph office, Bamburgh. Acreage, 456 of land and 11 of water and foreshore; population, 90. The manor belongs to Greenwich Hospital. Spindleston Hills are celebrated in the ballad of " the Laidley Worm of Spindleston Heugh," written in 1270.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Belford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Spindleston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Spindlestone)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: