South Dissington, Northumberland
Dissington, South, a township in Newburn parish, Northumberland, on the river Pont, 10 miles and 8 NW by W of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Post town, Newcastle-on-Tyne; money order and telegraph office, Ponteland. Acreage, 1348; population, 46. The Delavels had a seat here; the Collingwoods have Dissington Hall, and Admirals Sir Ralph Delavel and Lord Collingswood were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Dissington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dissington, South)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of South Dissington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: