South Charlton, Northumberland
Charlton, South, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish, taken out of the parishes of Alnwick and Ellingham, Northumberland, 4 miles SW of Christen Bank railway station, and 5 NNW of Alnwick, with a post office under Chathill (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Chathill. Acreage, 1885; population of the township, 121; of the ecclesiastical, 196. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was built in 1862.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Charlton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Charlton, South)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of South Charlton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: