UK Genealogy Archives logo

Simonburn, Northumberland

Historical Description

Simonburn, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies 3½ miles S of Wark railway station, and 8 NNW of Hexham, and includes the hamlets of Hall Barns and Park End. It has a post office under Humshaugh; money order and telegraph office, Wark. Acreage, 9245 of land and 64 of water; population, 413. The parish includes Haughton and Humshaugh townships. Population, 1015. Haughton Castle, Nunwick Hall, and Park End are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £512 with residence. Patron, Greenwich Hospital. The church was rebuilt in 1860 and restored in 1877, and consists of chancel, nave, and aisles. The Roman station of Procolitia was in the parish, and quantities of coins, earthenware, &c., have been found. The living of Humshaugh is a separate benefice. There are almshouses for aged women and other charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Ecclesiastical parishSimonburn St. Simon 
Poor Law unionHexham 
WardTindale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Simonburn from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Simonburn are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE48
Post TownHexham