Shotley, a village, two townships, and a parish, in Northumberland. The village stands 5½ miles from Shotley Bridge station on the N.E.R., and 9 SE of Hexham, and is in Shotley Low Quarter township. That township includes Birkenside, comprises 7045 acres of land and 87 of water; population, 589. The other township is Shotley High Quarter, or Blanchland, is noticed in the article BLANCHLAND, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Blanchland, under Riding Mill (R.S.O.) The parish contains also the township of Newbiggin. The manor belongs to the Silvertop family. Much of the land is moor and mountain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of NewcastIe-on-Tyne; net value, £269 with residence. Patrons, the trustees of Bishop Lord Crewe. The church was built in 1835, is in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and tower with two bells. The ancient church, which had sunk in through the working of a coal mine, was restored and reopened in 1893, and is now used as a chapel of ease. There are a Baptist chapel, built in 1856, and an endowed school founded in 1796. The present school was erected in 1874. There is also a small coal mine.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: