Shortflatt, a township in Bolam parish, Northumberland, 10 miles WSW of Morpeth, and 3 from Angerton station on the North British railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Belsay. Acreage, 518; population, 39. Shortflatt Tower was built in the reign of Stephen, and is an old peel tower; belonged in the time of Edward II. to the Raymes, passed to the Fenwicks, and belongs now to the Dent family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shortflatt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shortflatt)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Shortflatt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: