Shitlington, a township, consisting of the three villages of Upper, Nether, and Middle Shitlington, in Thornhill parish, Northumberland, 2 miles SSW of Bellingham. Acreage, 3410; population, 2839; of the ecclesiastical parish of Middle Shitlington or Middlestown, 2728. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Wakefield; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Thornhill. The church was built in 1876, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bellingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shitlington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shitlington, High)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: