Shilbottle, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies 3½ miles SSE of Alnwick station on the N.E.R., and has a post and money order office-under Lesbury(R.S.O.); telegraph office, Alnwick. Acreage of township, 3000; population, 454; of the ecclesiastical parish, 766. There is a parish council consisting of five members.. The parish includes also the townships of Hazon, Newton-on-the Moor, Whittle, and Woodhouse. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. There are a coal-mine, a freestone quarry, and a tile manufactory. The living is a, vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £134 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was built in 1885, on the site of the former one, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, and central tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shilbottle St. James|
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shilbottle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shilbottle (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Shilbottle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: