Seghill or Sedgehill, a colliery village and a township in Earsdon parish, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Cramlington parish, Northumberland. The village stands 6½ miles NNE of Newcastle, and has a station, with telegraph, on the railway, and a post and money order office under Dudley (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Seaton Delaval. The township is governed by an urban district council of five members, and comprises 1425 acres; population, 2269. The manor belonged anciently to Tynemouth Priory, went to the Mitfords who built a castle here, and passed through the Allgoods and others to the Blakes. The ecclesiastical parish includes also part of Seaton Delaval and Cramlington townships, and was constituted in 1846. Population, 5849. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848, and consists of chancel, nave, and bell-turret. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Seghill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: