Seaton Delavel, Northumberland
Seaton Delaval, a village and a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland. The village stands 2 miles W of the coast at Seaton Sluice, and 3½ SSW of Blyth, and has a station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newcastle. The township comprises 2647 acres of land and 151 of water and foreshore; population, 4096. The manor belonged anciently to Tynemouth Priory, passed in 1121 to the Delavals, devolved on extinction of their male line about the end of the 18th century to Sir Jacob Astley, and belongs now to Lord Hastings. Seaton Dulaval House was built after designs by Vanbrugh for Admiral Delaval, resembles Blenheim Palace, but surpasses it in simplicity and beauty; has a centre with lofty Doric portico and two vast wings, was destroyed by fire in Jan. 1822, lay in ruins till 1861, and was then rebuilt by Baron Hastings. A castle of the Delavals stood to the SW, but is now represented by only the chapel, a very fine specimen of Early Norman. A mausoleum built in 1775 by Lord Delaval, stands in the park, and is a Doric temple with a cupola. Coal mining is carried on. There are Primitive Methodist and Presbyterian chapels, a mission church, and a mechanics' institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Seaton Delavel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Seaton-Delaval)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: