Scremerston, an ecclesiastical parish in Ancroft and Tweedmouth parishes, Northumberland, with a station on the N.E.R., 3½ miles SSE of Berwick-upon-Tweed. It was constituted in 1844, and has a post office under Berwick; money order and telegraph office, Spittal. Population, 890. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church, erected in 1842, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and western tower with spire. There are extensive collieries and brick and tile works in the neighbourhood. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Berwick-upon-Tweed|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scremerston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Scremerston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Scremerston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: