Rudchester or Rouchester, Northumberland
Rudchester or Rouchester, a township in Heddon-on-the Wall parish, Northumberland, on the Roman wall, 8¼ miles WNW of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and 1½ mile from Wylam station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Wylam. Acreage, 647; population, 49. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. There is a large stone quarry. The Roman station Vindobala was here, is still slightly traceable, and has furnished four altars, a Hercules, bricks, coins, and other relics. A mediaeval stronghold also was here, and became the nucleus of a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rudchester or Rouchester from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: