UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ross, Northumberland

Historical Description

Ross, a township in Belford parish, Northumberland, on the coast, 3½ miles NNE of Belford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Belford. Acreage, 1526 of land and 1775 of water and foreshore: population, 49. The Earl of Tankerville is lord of the manor. Large quantities of cockles are found on the coast.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishBelford 
Poor Law unionBelford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ross from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ross are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE70
Post TownBelford