Roddam, a township in Ilderton parish, Northumberland, 5½ miles SSE of Wooler, and 1 mile from Wooperton station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order office, Wooler; telegraph office, Wooperton (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1204; population, 84. The manor was given to Pulleine by King Athelstan, passed by descent to the Eoddams, to whom, with Roddam Hall, it still belongs. The mansion was rebuilt by Admiral Roddam about 1776. A mound to the S of it is called Athelstan's Mount, and on being opened not many years ago was found to contain some urns and a number of large human bones.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glendale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Roddam from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Roddam are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: