UK Genealogy Archives logo

Rock, Northumberland

Historical Description

Rock, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Embleton parish, Northumberland, 1½ mile SW by S of Christen Bank railway station, and 4½ miles NNE of Alnwick. There is a post office under Alnwick; money order office, Alnwick; telegraph office, Little Mill (E.S.) Acreage, 2053; population, 214. Rock House is the seat of the Bosanquet family, and includes an ancient ivy-clad tower which belonged formerly to the Lawsons and the Salkelds. There is some fine scenery. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Eennington, in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; joint net value, £168 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Embleton. The church is mainly Norman, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and a belfry.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishEmbleton 
Poor Law unionAlnwick 
WardBambrough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Rock from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Rock are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE66
Post TownAlnwick