Rennington, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Embleton parish, Northumberland, 1 mile W by N of Little Mill station on the N.E.R., and 4 miles NE by N of Alnwick. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Alnwick. Acreage of township, 1773; population, 253; of the ecclesiastical parish, 487. The property belongs to the Duke of Northumberland, who is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, n£187 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Embleton. The church was built in 1837; is in the Early English style; consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower; and was restored in 1888, when seven stained memorial windows were inserted. It was preceded by an ancient chapel, originally connected with Lindisfame Priory.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rennington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rennington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Rennington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: