Prudhoe Castle, Northumberland
Prudhoe Castle, a township in Prudhoe parish, Northumberland, 10½ miles from Hexham, and half a mile from Prudhoe station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Prudhoe (R.S.O.) Acreage, 644, of which 32 are water; population, 929. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Prudhoe Castle was built by one of the Umfravilles; withstood a siege in 1174 by William the Lion, King of Scotland; stands on a rock 60 feet above the level of the Tyne; occupies, with its garden, about 3 acres; is defended on the N by an outer wall rising sheer from the cliff; is guarded also by square bastions, and protected on the S by a deep fosse; went largely to ruin as early as the time of Elizabeth; and now shows chiefly a lofty ruined keep and a modern residence of the Duke's steward.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Prudhoe Castle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Prudhoe-Castle)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Prudhoe Castle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: