Prudhoe, a village and a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland. The village stands about a mile S of the station, and has a post, money order and telegraph office under Ovingham (R.S.O.) The township lies on the river Tyne and on the Newcastle and Carlisle section of the N.E.R., 10½ miles W of Newcastle, and has a station on the railway. A bridge across the Tyne connects this place with Ovingham. Acreage of the township, 1457; population, 3391. The manor belonged anciently to the Umfravilles, belongs now to the Duke of Northumberland, and gives him the title of Baron. There are extensive collieries and a fire-brick manufactory. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1881, and comprises the townships of Dukes Hagg, Prudhoe, Prudhoe Castle, and part of Wylam, and the hamlet of Masters Close. Population, 4530. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £245 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Prudhoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Prudhoe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Prudhoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: