Pegsworth or Pegswood, Northumberland
Pegsworth or Pegswood, a village and a township in Bothal parish, Northumberland, If mile ENE of Morpeth station on the North-Eastern and North British railways. Post town and money order office, Pegswood Colliery, under Morpeth; telegraph office, Longhirst. Acreage of township, 1236; population, 1400. There are two collieries. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pegsworth or Pegswood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pegsworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: