Paston, a township in Kirknewton parish, Northumberland, on the river Bowmont, 9½ miles NW of Wooler, and half a mile from Mindrum station on a branch of the N.E.R. It includes the hamlets of Harelaw, Shotton, and Bowmont Hill. Post town, Coldstream; money order office, Milfield; telegraph office, Yetholm. Acreage, 2324 of land and 31 of water; population, 170. There are remains of entrenchments and ramparts with fosses on the hills. Paston Lake is near here.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirk Newton|
|Poor Law union||Glendale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Paston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Paston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: