Ovington, a township, with a village, in Ovingham parish, Northumberland, on the N bank of the river Tyne, 1 mile from Prudhoe railway station, and 9 miles E of Hexham. It has a post office under Ovingham (R.S.O.); money order office, Ovingham; telegraph office, Prudhoe. Acreage, 996 of land and 27 of water; population, 508. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. Ovington House and Ovington Cottage are chief residences. There is a church school, built in 1843 and enlarged in 1850 and again in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ovington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Ovington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: