UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Broadoak or Bradock, Cornwall

Historical Description

Broadoak or Bradock, a parish in Cornwall, 2 miles SSW of Doublebois station on the G.W.R., and 4 NE by E of Lostwithiel. It includes West Taphouse hamlet, and its post town and money order office is Lostwithiel; telegraph office, Doublebois station. Acreage, 3404; population, 285. The manor was held at Domesday by Robert, Earl of Mortaigne. Broadoak Down was the scene of the defeat in 1643 of the Parliamentarians under Ruthven by the Royalists under Hopton. The living is a rectory annexed to the rectory of Boconnoc in the diocese of Exeter. The church is good, and has an ancient font. It was restored in 1887, and a new organ was presented in the same year by Colonel C. D. Fortescue. There is a Wesleyan chapel at West Taphouse.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Broadoak or Bradock from the following:


Online maps of Broadoak or Bradock are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:

Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.