UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton on the Moor, Northumberland

Historical Description

Newton-on-the Moor, a township, with a village, in Shilbottle parish, Northumberland, about 5½ miles S of Alnwick station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Felton (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Felton; a Jubilee hall erected in 1887, and a slightly endowed school. Acreage, 939; population, 215. Newton Hall is a chief residence. Limestone abounds, and is quarried. Coal is also worked, and bricks and tiles are made. There is a large ancient camp.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishShilbottle 
Poor Law unionAlnwick 
WardCoquetdale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton on the Moor from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Newton on the Moor are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE65
Post TownMorpeth