Newton by the Sea, Northumberland
Newton-by-the Sea, a township, with a village, in Embleton parish, Northumberland, on the coast, 9¼ miles NE of Alnwick, and 2½ from Christon Bank station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Chathill (R.S.O.); money order office, Embleton; telegraph office, Craster. Acreage, 1209 of land and 180 of water and foreshore; population, 220. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in fisheries. There is a coastguard station, with rocket life-saving apparatus.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton by the Sea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: