UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton Underwood, Northumberland

Historical Description

Newton Underwood, a township in Mitford parish, Northumberland, 3½ miles W of Morpeth town and railway stations. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Morpeth. Acreage, 896 of land and 10 of water; population, 60. There are ruins of an ancient tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishMitford 
Poor Law unionMorpeth 
WardMorpeth 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton Underwood from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Newton Underwood are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: