Newton Hall, Northumberland
Newton Hall, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bywell St Peter parish, Northumberland, 8 miles ENE of Hexham, and 3 from Stocksfield station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Stocksfield (R.S.O.) Acreage, 990; population, 149. The ecclesiastical parish also comprises the townships of Newton and Stelling, and was constituted in 1877. Population, 373. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £250 with residence. The church, which was formerly a chapel of ease, was rebuilt in 1874 by the late Col. J. Joicey, and is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Bywell St Peter|
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton Hall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton-Hall)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Newton Hall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: