Newminster Abbey, Northumberland
Newminster Abbey, a township in Morpeth parish, Northumberland, on the river Wansbeck, half a mile W of Morpeth town and railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Morpeth. Acreage, 751 of land and 9 of water; population, 174. There are corn and woollen mills. A splendid Cistercian monastery stood here. See MORPETH.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newminster Abbey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newminster-Abbey)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Newminster Abbey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: