Newburn, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands on the river Tyne, near the Roman wall, 5½ miles WNW of Newcastle. It was styled a borough in the time of King John, contains extensive steel-works, has a station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Scotswood (R.S.O.) The township comprises 601 acres of land and 61 of water; population, 1691; of the ecclesiastical parish, 5624. The parish contains also the townships of Newburn Hall, Sugley, Throckley, Wallbottle, East Denton, West Denton, Newbiggin, East and West Whorlton, Woolsington, Black Callerton, South Dissington, North Dissington, and Dalton. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Copsi, in 1072, when quarrelling with Osulph about the earldom of Northumberland, fled from him to Newburn, took refuge in the church, and was murdered by him when attempting to escape. The Scottish army in 1640 planted their cannon on the Newburn side of the Tyne, crossed the river under cover of its fire to Stellahaugh, and there defeated the royal army under Lord Conway. Coal is largely worked, and several coal-staiths, ironworks, and brick and tile manufactories are on the banks of the river. George Stephenson, when a raw lad, drove the " gin " at Black Callerton Colliery, and he was married to his first wife in Newburn church. Salmon preserves, belonging to the Duke of Northumberland, are at Newburn and Lemington Point. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Holy Trinity and St Mary the Virgin, in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £202 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is ancient and cruciform, with a tower containing six bells, presented in 1888; was restored, partly rebuilt, and considerably enlarged in 1827; again restored in 1872, and The interior was renovated in 1885; and contains monuments of the Delavals. There are twelve almshouses, erected in 1870, and a Wesleyan chapel in the township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newburn St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newburn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newburn (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Newburn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: