Newbrough, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Northumberland, on the South Tyne river, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, near the Roman wall, 1 mile W by N of Fourstones railway station, and 5 miles WNW of Hexham, with a post office under Fourstones (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Fourstones. Acreage, including Wharnley, 7512 of land and 77 of water; population, 77 8. There are two lead mines. The S part, adjacent to the Tyne, is a rich tract, but the other parts are chiefly moorish upland. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warden, in the diocese of Newcastle. The church is a neat stone building with a bell-cote. There are United Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, a mechanics' institute, and a town-hall, erected in 1876.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newbrough from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Newbrough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: