Netherwitton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland, 3 miles from Ewesley, 6½ from Meldon, and 8 from Scots Gap station on the North British railway. There is a post office under Morpeth; money order and telegraph office, Hartburn. Acreage of the township, 3930; population, 173; of the ecclesiastical parish, 345. There is a woollen factory. Netherwitton Ham is the seat of the Trevelyan family, who are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £142 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Hartburn. The church is in the Early English style, and was enlarged in 1886. The chancel was restored and re-roofed, and a new organ erected, in 1881.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Netherwitton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: