Nafferton, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland, near the Roman wall, 7 miles from Hexham station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Stocksfield. Acreage, 814; population, 73. Nafferton Castle was built out of materials of the Roman wall by Sir Philip D'Ulecote, in the time of King John, and consists of a keep 20 feet square, and two outer baileys.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nafferton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nafferton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: