Mitford, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The village, which was once a market-town, stands at the confluence of the rivers Font and Wansbeck, near the Wansbeck Valley railway, 2½ miles W by S of Morpeth. It has a post and money order office under Morpeth; telegraph office, Morpeth. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 1898; population, 194. The parish contains also the townships of Molesden, Spital Hill, Edington, Benridge, Newton Underwood, Newton Park, Throphill, Nunriding, Pigdon, and High and Low Highlaws. Population, 570. The manor belonged before the Norman Conquest to the Mitfords, passed by marriage soon after the Conquest to Sir Roger Bertram, was ravished by the Flemish Eutars in consequence of Roger Bertram having joined the barons against King John, was forfeited in 1264 in consequence of Bert. de Mitford having rebelled against Henry III., passed to the Earls of Pembroke and Athole and to the Percys, went back to the Mitfords in the time of Charles II., and is associated with William Freeman Mitford (connected with John T. F. Mitford, late Baron Eedesdale), author of the "History of Greece,'' and with Mary Russell Mitford, author of " Our Village." A castle was built in 1150-70 by John de Mitford, and is still represented by a ruined massive keep, with two posterns and two waggon-headed'vaults. The old manor house was built in 1637 out of materials of the castle, and is still represented by a turreted porch and some offices. The present mansion, the seat of the Mitford family, is a modern edifice after designs by Dobson. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £357 with residence. The church stands embosomed in trees, is an ancient cruciform structure with Norman nave, a good Norman door, and an Early English chancel, and contains effigies of a Bertram and a Eeveley and several stained windows. It was allowed to fall into decay, and the uave was for a time roofless, but in 1873 it was thoroughly restored and enlarged.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mitford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mitford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Mitford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: