Mickley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Ovingham parish, Northumberland. The township lies near a side station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 9¼ miles E by S of Hexham, and 2½ from Prudhoe station on the N.E.R., and contains the hamlets of Cherrybum and Mount Pleasant and the village of Mickley Square, which has a post and money order office under Stocksfield; telegraph office, Prudhoe. Acreage, 1431; population of the township, 1450; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2085. Coal-mining and coking are largely carried on by the Mickley Coal Company. The ecclesiastical parish contains also six other townships. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £209. The church was built in 1824, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, and a belfry; it was restored and enlarged in 1886. There is a parish hall, and a workmen's club and reading-room, erected in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mickley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mickley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Mickley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: