UK Genealogy Archives logo

Melkridge, Northumberland

Historical Description

Melkridge, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland, on the South Tyne river, 2 miles S of the Roman Wall, and 2 E of Haltwhistle station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Haltwhistle. Acreage, 4452; population, 319. The township includes the hamlet of Hightown. The manor belongs to Sir Edward Blackett, Bart., of Matfen Hall. The Roman camp of Whitchester is here. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishHaltwhistle 
Poor Law unionHaltwhistle 
WardTindale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Melkridge from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Melkridge are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE49
Post TownHaltwhistle