Meldon, a parish in Northumberland, on the Wansbeck river, 6 miles W by S of Morpeth. It has a station on the North British railway, and its post town is Morpeth; money order office, Whalton; telegraph office, Hartburn. Acreage, 1028; population, 149. The manor, with Meldon Park, belongs to the Cookson family. Meldon Tower existed in the time of Henry VI.; was the seat of the Fenwicks; is associated in curious local tradition with Meg o' Meldon, mother of Sir W. Fenwick, in the 17th century; and has completely disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was restored by Dr Eaine the antiquary in 1849, and in 1892 was very greatly improved and beautified by Mr J. B. Cookson of Meldon Hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Meldon St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Meldon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Meldon (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Meldon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: