Long Houghton, Northumberland
Houghton, Long, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the N.E.R. and on the coast, 4 miles ENE of Amwick, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lesbury (E.S.O.); money order office, Alnwick; telegraph office, Little Mills. Acreage, 3181 of land and 537 of water and foreshore; population of township, 602; of the ecclesiastical parish, 723. The parish contains also the township of Little Houghton and the villages of Boulmer and Seaton House. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. There are limestone quarries and lime works. Boulmer Bay and Batcheugh Crag are here, and the latter commands an extensive coast view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £165 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is ancient, was restored in 1874,-and has a massive tower with walls of great thickness, and with some Early Norman windows. The chancel arch is believed to be Saxon, and there is a tower arch of Early Norman workmanship.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Houghton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Houghton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Houghton, Long (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: