Longhirst, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bothal parish, Northumberland, on the North-East-ern railway, 3 miles NE of Morpeth, with a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Morpeth. Acreageof township, 1769; population, 809. Long-hirst Hall and Longhirst Grange are chief residences. The ecclesiastical parish was formed from Bothal parish in 1876. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £203 with residence. The church was erected in 1873-74, is in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south aisle, and a western tower, with spire. There are a national school and a reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longhirst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Longhirst)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Longhirst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: