Long Framlington, Northumberland
Long Framlington, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the river Coquet, 5½ miles ESE of Rothbury, and 6½ WSW of Acklington railway station, and has a post office under Mor-peth; money order and telegraph office, Felton. It has a fair for sheep and cattle on the second Tuesday of July, The township includes also the hamlet of Low Framlington. Acreage, 5102; population, 450; of the ecclesiastical parish, including Brinkbura, 610. Coal, limestone, and freestone are plentiful, and are worked. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Felton, in the diocese of Newcastle; joint gross yearly value, £240 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. There has been a Presbyterian congregation since 1640. The present Presbyterian church was erected in 1854.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rothbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Framlington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Framlington, Long)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Long Framlington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: