Long Benton, Northumberland
Benton, Long, a township, a parish, and a village in the county of Northumberland. The township lies on the N.E.R., and on the Blyth and Tyne railway, near the Roman Wall, 3 miles NNE of New castle-upon-Tyne, and has stations on the railways, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The village consists of one long street, and stands on rock, dry, healthy, and pleasant. The parish includes also the townships of Long Benton, Little Benton, Killingworth, Weetslade, and Walker, and the ecclesiastical parishes of Walker, Killingworth, and North Gosforth. Acreage, 8981; population of the civil parish, 22,162; of the ecclesiastical, 3489. The manor belongs to the Jerningham family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £325 with residence. Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The parish church dated originally from the 12th century; was rebuilt in 1791; chancel rebuilt, 1855; church restored, 1873-75; new south porch added, 1885; new choir vestries, 1888; peal of tubular bells, 1891. The perpetual curacy of Killingwurth is a separate benefice; gross value, £318 with residence. There are several dissenting chapels, and a reading-room and library. The population of the ecclesiastical parish is composed of coal miners, freestone quarrymen, shipyard labourers, farmers and agricultural labourers, besides a suburban population, chiefly in the district of Forest Hall, of business men engaged in Newcastle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Benton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Benton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Benton, Long (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: