Linhope, a hamlet in Ingrain, Linhope, Greenshawhill, and Hartside township, Ingram parish, Northumberland, on the river Breamish, under the Cheviots, 83- miles SW by S of Wooler. The name Linhope signifies '' the valley of the waterfall," and alludes to a cascade called Linhope Spout. The cascade is a fall of 56 feet over a precipitous rock into a dark ravine flanked with high birch-clad rocks. Remains of an ancient fortified British town are at a spot called Greaves Ash, and comprise three circular encampments, each with surrounding ramparts inclosing perceptible foundations of houses. The W encampment is the largest, and has eighteen hut circles. A small silver cross, inscribed with the name of Agia, Bishop of Hexham, and thought to have been one of the crosses given to the Hexham pilgrims, was found in 1861 at the foot of the adjoining Cheviot Hill Hartside.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Linhope are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: