UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lesbury, Northumberland

Historical Description

Lesbury, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands on the river Aine, half a mile N of Alnmouth railway station and 3½ miles E by S of Alnwick, and has a neat stone bridge over the Aine and a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Alnmouth. The township contains also the hamlets of Bilton, Hawkhill, and Wooden. Acreage, 4035 of land, besides 129 of water and foreshore; population, 943; of the ecclesiastical parish, 929. The parish includes also the township of Ainmouth, which was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1877. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. There are a large corn-mill and a timber-yard. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is ancient, was restored in 1846, and has a tower. There is a Primrose League Club, opened in 1887, containing library, reading and billiard rooms, &c.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Ecclesiastical parishLesbury St. Mary 
Poor Law unionAlnwick 
WardBambrough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lesbury from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lesbury are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE66
Post TownAlnwick