UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lanton, Northumberland

Historical Description

Lanton, a township in Kirk Newton parish, Northumberland, on the river Glen, 4½ miles NW of Wooler and 1 mile from Kirk Newton station. The post town is Alnwick; money order and telegraph office, Wooler. Acreage, 974; population, 77. A monument to the Davidsons is on the Lanton Hill.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishKirk Newton 
Poor Law unionGlendale 
WardGlendale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lanton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lanton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE71
Post TownWooler